Gloucester Cathedral Choir
Gloucester Cathedral Choir is the successor to the boys and monks of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, who first sang daily worship in this magnificent building almost 1,000 years ago.
The Choir of today stems from that established by Henry VIII in 1539, consisting of up to 20 full and probationary choristers, nine lay clerks and three choral scholars. Choristers attend the neighbouring King’s School, supported by chorister scholarships, while choral scholars join the Choir for a year, usually before or after university or music college.
The choir sings six services each week (in term time) as well as major Easter and Christmas services; it also participates each year in the Three Choirs Festival, Europe’s longest established music festival.